Ads 468x60px

Mobile Number Portability (MNP)

Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
You can now move your entire mobile phone number, including the prefix, to any operator of your choice. So take your whole 11-digit number wherever you feel like!

What is “Mobile Number Portability” or “MNP”?

Mobile Number Portability (MNP) means the customer can keep their mobile phone number if they decide to change from one mobile operator to another. Basically, it’s a process that allows the customer to keep their mobile number irrespective of who their network operator is. So, if they switch between operators, they don’t have to go to the trouble of advising all their friends/family/colleagues that their number has changed – it stays the same.


Who can use the system?
MNP is available to both “post-paid” (pay monthly contract) and “pre-paid” (pay-as-you-go) mobile customers of all network operators in the Channel Islands, as long as their number hasn’t been barred or suspended. Customers will only be able to port their number to mobile operators in the same island as their current operator, so existing Jersey Telecom customers can only port their number to Cable and Wireless Jersey or Airtel-Vodafone Jersey. They will not be able to port to Guernsey mobile operators and vice versa.
If I want to move my number, do I need to go into my current service provider's store to change?
No you don't. You just need to go into the store of the provider you wish to move to, and they'll sort out the rest.


What do I need to do to move my number?

To move your number to Airtel-Vodafone, you need to bring the following into one of our stores.

1. Proof of identity (passport or driving licence)
2. A mobile phone bill from your current service provider (from within the last 3 months)
3. A utility bill from within the last 3 months, such as water or electricity

Our retail staff will take you through the process and answer any questions you may have, or you can call our Customer Services department on 07829 700121 (Jersey) or 07839 700121 (Guernsey).

Will I be charged to move my number?

The process is free, although of course you will have to pay any outstanding charges that you owe your current service provider.

Can I change my mind during the porting process?

Once the porting process has started and the confirmation SMS has been sent and acknowledged, the porting process cannot be stopped.

I'm a post-paid customer - can I port if my initial contract has not expired or I haven't paid my bills?

Subject to minimum contract period obligations “Post-paid” customers will be able to switch unless they are barred or suspended due to non-payment of bills outstanding for more than 60 days.

Will my old operator stop billing me when I port?
“Post-paid” customers will receive a final bill for usage up to the time their number is switched to the new operator. “Post-paid” customers that have not completed the minimum required term of the contract with their existing operator may be required to pay the outstanding balance of monthly rentals due under the contract.

I'm a pre-paid customer and I have some credit left - can I take this with me? 

“Pre-paid” customers won’t be able to take outstanding credit with them, and should use it up before they switch.

What happens to SMS that I send or receive whilst porting? 

Messages which have been sent to the customer prior to porting, but not delivered, may be erased.

Will I be able to take my voicemails, SMS and service settings to my new operator?

You'lll lose your old voicemail, sms, mms and ancillary services, and will need to set these up again with your new service provider. Customers should ensure they are aware of the any other services changes that may occur as a result of this.

Will the cost of my calls to my friends and family change after I have ported?

Customer’s friends and family may be charged differently when calling the customer after porting.  Additional information on applicable rates may be obtained from Airtel-Vodafone. Airtel-Vodafone are planning to implement a new ringtone for calls made On Net to other Airtel-Vodafone users.

When can I port on to another operator?

You will be restricted from porting your number to a third operator or back to their original operator within 60 days of a previous port.

What happens if I am not happy with my new service? Can I go back to my old operator?

If Airtel-Vodafone fails to meet promised coverage or other such significant parameters, then the customer can reverse the porting within 14 days of the porting request, but ONLY to their previous operator. In such cases, the customer will be required to return in new condition any phones (boxed with charger, instructions etc), any accessories and gifts provided at the time of sale – otherwise they may be charged in full for the value of any missing or damaged items.

Can my old operator try to persuade me to stay whilst I am porting?

The customer’s old operator is not allowed to contact them during the porting process to try and persuade them to stay with them. 

How long does porting take?

Typically your port will be completed with 48 hours or 2 working days. But it should be appreciated that porting days are Monday to Friday - 09.30 hrs to 17.30hrs only. Also the leadtime may extend during busy periods such as Xmas/ Easter.

I am a pre-pay customer - why do you need my proof of identity? Can I remain anonymous?

ID is required to discourage and prevent fraudulent porting. The Proof of ID may be asked for by your old operator, the regulator or the police and is filed in paper form only and will be destroyed after 6 months. As a pre pay customer you can elect to remain anonymous and not be registered on our main sales systems.

No comments :

Post a Comment